Posted in Scrimp & Save Ideas
- Recycle and encourage others to as this helps to keep the Council tax down.
- Do we need window cleaners when we have the rain?
- Use cheaper alternatives than expensive cleaning products:
- Clean glasses and jewellery using hot water and a steradent tablet;
- Clean inside windows with warm water and vinegar and then polish with newspaper.
- Only use a pea size blob of foot cream as the skin cannot absorb more.
- Do not use your mobile telephone when you can use your landline free.
- Avoid dry cleaning or laundrette bills by:
- Buying coats that are washable.
- Using 2 lighter duvets that you can wash rather than one heavy one that you cannot.
- Take home serviettes/salt/sugar packets where ever given out free.
- No need to downsize your home. Rent out your spare room to someone who hopefully goes home at weekends.
- Never throw food away unless really mouldy. Make breadcrumbs and bread and butter pudding from stale bread; curries and soups from old vegetables using the stalks too.
- Scrape not peel or chop when preparing vegetables.
– Ideas generated from the Hornsey Pensioners Action Group meeting November 2013