National Pensioners Convention Manifesto 2015
Despite what some may claim, Britain’s older generation are not to blame for the economic crisis. Neither does it help when the media suggests that there is a conflict between young and old, especially when the age groups share the same concerns over affordable housing, public transport, low incomes and retirement ages.
But growing older can be a real challenge. Britain’s state pension is amongst the least adequate in the developed world, some of the stories surrounding the care of older people are absolutely shocking and last winter over 30,000 pensioners died from the cold.
A country can be said to be judged by the way it treats its young and older members. That is why we need a series of policies that improve the lives of Britain’s 11m pensioners, as well as protecting future generations of older people.
At the General Election we will call on candidates to support our Pensioners’ Manifesto that will put the concerns of older people at the heart of the political process.
Pensioners’ Manifesto 2015
- A basic state pension for all, set above the poverty level of £175 a week.
- Increases in pensions to be linked to the best of RPI, CPI, earnings or 2.5%.
- Universal pensioner benefits (bus pass, winter fuel allowance, free TV licences for the over75s and free prescriptions) to be maintained without means-testing.
- A National Health and Care Service which is free at the point of use and funded through taxation.
- A legally binding Dignity Code to improve the quality and standards of care for older people.
For more information about the NPC’s policies or to receive copies of the Campaign E-Bulletins send an email to [email protected] or call 020-7837 6622.
The new address is NPC, Marchmont Community Centre, 62 Marchmont Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1N 1AB www.npcuk.org
- 2014 notices (11)
- 2015 notices (25)
- 2016 notices (15)
- 2017 notices (11)
- 2018 – notices (12)
- 2019 – 2020 notices (15)
- 2019 notices (2)
- Advice (25)
- Archive (6)
- before 2012 (2)
- Campaigns (47)
- dec 16 party (16)
- Front page (83)
- HPAG in the Ham & High (27)
- Newsletters (4)
- Previous events (25)
- Scrimp & Save Ideas (6)
- social issues (1)