Posted in Scrimp & Save Ideas
- Bath with or after a friend.
- Shower rather than bath. How many do you really need in a week?
- Flush your toilet infrequently especially if only watered i.e. if it’s yellow –let it mellow, if it’s brown flush it down.
- Get a water butt for the garden. Use dirty water for the garden from the kitchen and bath. Give your animals’ left over drinking water to your house plants.
- Check dripping taps and have a spare washer handy.
- If you can afford to buy a low energy dishwasher then make sure to use the low energy option and wait until the machine is full before running it. This is more economical in its use of hot water than washing the same by hand. Wipe the dishes rather than rinse under a running tap before putting into the dishwasher and try cutting the soap tablet in half.
- Use a toothbrush cup. Do not run the tap for rinsing.
- In small households switch to a water meter for cheaper bills.
– Ideas generated from the Hornsey Pensioners Action Group meeting November 2013