Posted in Scrimp & Save Ideas
- Get to know your shops and the products they sell more cheaply as “lost leaders”. Some cheaper supermarkets have won “blind taste” awards. Buy fruit and vegetables in the market as much cheaper than in the shops.
- Get to know the time the prices go down for sell by dates- often there are 2 stages. Once in the freezer fresh products will keep well beyond the sell by date.
- Share Buy 2 for One bargains with friends and neighbours or freeze but watch out that original prices have not been increased for this offer by the stores.
- Plan your cooking ahead of your shopping- do not buy impetuously except on your birthday or unless it is a real bargain. Shop little and often to avoid waste.
- For outside London trips buy advanced rail tickets from 3 months ahead and use Senior Rail Card or Disabled Rail Card (if you wear hearing aids) to get 1/3 off rail fares.
– Ideas generated from the Hornsey Pensioners Action Group meeting November 2013